Sunday, June 15, 2014

Cornice Box for Sliding Glass Door

We updated the sliding glass door to our balcony with Hunter Douglas shades.  I cased the frame and made a cornice box with an added wood filigree. 

Vintage Powder Room / Bathroom Remodel

I always forget to take "before" pictures but it was just a builder basic bathroom.  I took on my first wainscot / bead board project and went with vintage fixtures.  The toilet and pedestal sink are from the American Standard Collection. 

I also re-tiled in a white 1.5" hexagon tile with solid black daisies.  

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Black Painted Kitchen Cabinets


I was apprehensive to take on this painting project because I have never painted cabinets before.  This is our rental house kitchen and the cabinets looked pretty shabby, so I figured that anything would be an improvement.  The builder saved some money by using laminate faces with oak frames.  The real wood areas darkened over time, but the laminate areas didn't so they looked kind of two-toned:  

We took off each cabinet door and gave everything a good scrubbing with TSP.  I used BEHR® Alkyd Semi-Gloss Enamel in Molten Black.  The paint is a lot like oil-based paint but since it is water based, it was easy to clean up.  The cabinets took about three days to fully dry.

Even though the finish is quite durable, we added brushed nickel knobs and pulls.  I also painted the out-dated kitchen light frame white, so it would blend in with the ceiling.

Chalk Painted Vintage Highboy Dresser

This is my third chalk paint project.  I stripped the top and stained it espresso.  I made my own chalkpaint using latex paint and plaster of paris.  I used an "oops" paint from Home Depot so I don't know the color but it turned out exactly how I had envisioned.  Looking at the Annie Sloan color chart, it looks a lot like the Paris Grey color.

Here's the before picture... Once again, another craigslist find!

Friday, June 6, 2014

Chalkpaint Project #4

This is my fourth chalkpaint project.  Here is the before picture of the dresser I bought on craigslist.

I stripped the top and stained it espresso.  I made my own chalkpaint using latex paint and plaster of paris.