Thursday, June 12, 2014

Black Painted Kitchen Cabinets

BEFORE AND AFTER KITCHEN CABINETS

I was apprehensive to take on this painting project because I have never painted cabinets before.  This is our rental house kitchen and the cabinets looked pretty shabby, so I figured that anything would be an improvement.  The builder saved some money by using laminate faces with oak frames.  The real wood areas darkened over time, but the laminate areas didn't so they looked kind of two-toned:  

We took off each cabinet door and gave everything a good scrubbing with TSP.  I used BEHR® Alkyd Semi-Gloss Enamel in Molten Black.  The paint is a lot like oil-based paint but since it is water based, it was easy to clean up.  The cabinets took about three days to fully dry.



Even though the finish is quite durable, we added brushed nickel knobs and pulls.  I also painted the out-dated kitchen light frame white, so it would blend in with the ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment